Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Wherein Amy explains why she hasn't posted yet

OK. So I get this e-mail one day from Adam, asking if I want to take part in this new blog venture, all about food. Heck, I like food, so why not?

Of course, I do have a full-time job and I blog about television for it, plus I'm now a member of Blogs4Bauer (in part, also Adam's fault), and I also have two children under the age of four, so it's not like I have gobs of free time.

But, still, it sounds fun.

Then a week passes. Another week.

And another, and another.

Still nothing.

I check in from time to time, read Rickey's hilarious missive on random food left to kill people in the kitchen, even comment on it.

Still nothing.

I'm lame, OK? Just lame. I never have any interesting food anymore (trying to lose baby weight, after all, plus we never get to eat out hardly, because we have two smichicks and corralling them is like trying to herd cats).

But it occurs to me that perhaps that can be my niche: Boring food.

A colleague went to the Desert Moon Fresh Mexican Grille (you know it's fresh b/c there's an "e" at the end of Grill) today and I ordered a steak fajita burrito. It was on the low-carb/high fiber menu and came in a whole-wheat tortilla.

Of course, that means it was not really a fajita, burrito or, frankly, anything else you could actually find in the nation of Mexico. But it wasn't too bad. I pretended it wasn't Mexican food, and it tasted pretty good, in fact.

Unfortunately, it came with some corn tortilla chips, which I ended up eating, and that probably negated the entire idea of eating from the low-carb menu. I also had a can of Diet Coke.

By the way, did you know that Diet Coke has more caffeine than a regular Coke? true. Check out The Caffeine Database — 12 ounces of Coca-Cola Classic has 34.5 mg of caffeine; Diet Coke has 45 mg in the same serving.

And it's my second can of the day. Woo-hoo! Stop by about 5 p.m., when I'm on deadline, have a million people asking me a million questions and I've had two or three more cans. It's not a pretty sight.

And Fridays, wow. Fridays are really ugly. But that's another story for another day. Friday's Chinese food day, so you have that to look forward to. And don't worry, I don't eat at this place.

6 comments:

HC said...

Yay - an inaugural Amy post!

Interesting tidbit about diet coke -- and when you consider the eventual slump you get after the sugar high, diet coke is really the better choice. Of course, I used to down that stuff like there was no tomorrow...until, truly there WAS no tomorrow for my stomach lining. I still imbibe, but in moderation...8 a day is moderate, right?

TheJackSack said...

I would like to clarify for the record that Amy's two kids are NOT my fault.

Welcome to the blog!

AmyV said...

Oh, totally moderate, Haley. Funny tidbit - I drank so much diet Coke at one point that for secret santa one year, my gift was a case of 20 oz. bottles of diet Coke. But I'd found out just a couple days earlier that I was pregnant, so had JUST cut out caffeine. Perfect gift, bad timing.

And Adam, eek! :-)

Rickey said...

Welcome aboard Amy. Pardon Rickey's ignorance, but what's a smichick? Some kind of small woodland critter?

AmyV said...

Nah, it's faux Yiddish. Basically means "little ones." As in real Yiddish, it's rather hard to spell in English. It's probably really smitchik. Now that I think about it, that's probably the correct spelling of the faux Yiddish. Gawd, I love Yiddish. Both the real one and the faux one.

Rickey said...

Ah ok... for a boychik who regularly traffics in yiddish expressions, Rickey really should've known that.